1. The trial for accused cop killer Davon Lymon continues Thursday. In court Wednesday, attorney’s for Lymon say the shooting was self-defense. During opening statements, prosecutors say Lymon planned to kill Albuquerque Officer Daniel Webster. Lymon was pulled over in a Walgreens parking lot at Central and Eubank in October 2015. The ex-convict was riding a motorcycle police believed was stolen. Authorities say Lymon then pulled out a gun and shot the 9-year APD veteran four times. If convicted in this case, he faces life without parole.
2. APD makes an arrest of the man accused of running over his ex-girlfriend, killed her. That man has been identified as Joseph Zamora. Witnesses say they saw Rosie Bowers fall out of a pickup truck at Indian School and Pennyslvania. Investigators say Zamora ran her over and she died on scene. Zamora told officers the couple had been argueing and when she got out, he thought he ran over her backpack. Zamora faces charges of leaving the scene of an accident involving death.
3. A nice day ahead with afternoon highs above normal in the 60s, 70s, and 80s across New Mexico. Dry, westerly flow will push out Wednesday’s cloud cover giving way to much more sunshine statewide.
Full story: Kristen’s Thursday Morning Forecast
4. U.S. lawmakers will soon be voting on $18 million in funding cuts for the Special Olympics nationwide. Meanwhile, an agency in New Mexico is preparing for the worst. Unified Champion Schools works on building relationships between regular education and special education students. $100,000 of their funding comes solely from the federal government. The proposed cuts by Education Secretary Betsy Devos could prevent the group from attending Special Olympics games. The funding cut will not likely pass, meaning Special Olympics training and the games are not at risk.
5. It’s back to the Octagon for Holly Holm who’s preparing to defend her former UFC Bantamweight title. Holm’s manager Lenny Fresquez told KRQE Sports that Holm and UFC featherweight champion Amanda Nunes have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 239 July 6 in Las Vegas. Holm’s Jackson and Wink teammate Jon Jones also verbally commits to a fight at UFC 239. Jones will defend his light heavyweight title against Thiago Santos.