1. All of the judges in Bernalillo County have recused themselves from hearing the DWI case against district court Judge Deborah Walker. Whoever takes over will likely watch newly released lapel camera video showing the moment the family court judge was arrested and charged. Officers say Walker was twice the legal limit when she caused a crash last Wednesday on Rio Grande. She denies that claim. A petition is now circulating asking for her to resign.
Full story: Video shows family court judge’s DWI arrest
2. Bernalillo County District Attorney Raul Torrez is preparing to address lawmakers about his budget next week. Ahead of that, he’s explaining what his office has done with the extra $4 million lawmakers gave him in 2018 through a newly released report. The da’s report states the total number of reported criminal cases is below 3,000 reports per month, the lowest level since March 2015. The da says there are two few key factors, the filing of cases in district court faster and a heavy focus on prosecuting the worst of the worst. Torrez says the goal now is to keep it up, which will take more money, more prosecutors and more time.
3. A mostly quiet start to Wednesday morning with temperatures in the single digits, teens and 20s for most while a handful of us lucky enough to stay in the 30s farther south.
Full story: Kristen’s Wednesday Morning Forecast
4. If you still have an unpaid parking ticket, you may be one of the lucky few who won’t have to pay it. The city fired parking enforcement officer Ella Barefoot who wrote more than 1,200 tickets. But now hundreds of those could be dropped. The city confirms any unpaid tickets handed out by Officer Barefoot will eventually be sent to court and dismissed. The dismissal only applies to tickets handed out in the last four months.
5. The ABQ Biopark is offering special valentine’s day deals during their That’s A Moray event on February 14. The adults-only event features a glass of champagne and a romantic dinner at the shark reef café. The cost is 75-dollars per person.
Full story: Valentine’s Day at the BioPark
Top Morning Stories