1. A will decide if Nehemiah Griego has been rehabilitated while in state custody and should be released. The judge will also be looking at new video that shows Griego’s confessing to investigators about murdering his parents and three siblings back in 2013. Griego plead guilty to the crime and was sentenced as a juvenile. He was supposed to get out when he turned 21, but prosecutors appealed his release and won.
2. The Cibola High School English teacher accused of cutting a Native American student’s hair and making a racist comment to another is no longer employed with Albuquerque Public Schools. The alleged incident reportedly happened on Halloween. The teacher, whose identity still has not been released was dressed as a voo-doo witch on Halloween. One Native American student says the teacher called her a racist comment, another says the teacher cut her braid. APS would not confirm if the teacher resigned or was fired.
3. A quiet day in store Tuesday with mostly sunny skies blanketing temps in the 30s, 40s and 50s. Winds will generally stay light (5-15mph) and the state will stay clear of any rain or snow as high pressure remains in control.
Full Story: Kristen’s Tuesday Morning Forecast
4. A 14-year-old Espanola girl was found in Mississippi. She is safe and is waiting to be reunited with her family. According to Espanola Police Chief, Louis Carlos, the teen was originally reported missing Monday. Initially, she was considered a runaway, but now they believe she was kidnapped. It’s not clear, but the Mississippi highway patrol put out an alert looking for the girl. Troopers then found the girl with two unknown suspects, near the Mississippi-Alabama border. The suspects are currently behind bars. The FBI is now taking over the investigation.
5. The Albuquerque Isotopes are one of five finalists in the “Copa de la Diversión” competition. It’s a minor-league baseball initiative celebrating Hispanic Heritage and culture. The isotopes are being honored for their transformation into the Mariachis de Nuevo Mexico. The league will announce the overall winner on Monday.
Morning’s Top Stories
- Trial set to begin for former Española teacher accused of child molestation
- Pop-up toy store teaches kids the joy of giving in unique way
- New Mexico’s largest diocese files bankruptcy petition
- City seeks spur project to take Rail Runner to Balloon Fiesta Field
- 4 days of events honoring former President George H.W. Bush
- Podcast aims to shed light, renew clues in Albuquerque teen’s unsolved murder
- NM Game and Fish officer rescues injured owl