1. The fight continues Monday between Otero County and Governor Lujan Grisham over the border crisis. Now Otero County officials say they are considering suing Governor Lujan Grisham. During a Fox News interview on Sunday, County Commissioner Couy Griffin says Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham has yet to respond to the county’s request to declare a State of Emergency. The county is asking the National Guard to reopen border checkpoints to block incoming migrants. However, the governor suggested they direct their concerns to Border Patrol and Homeland Security.
2. Police are continuing their search for the suspect in a stabbing that happened near Girard and Central. Officers say the suspect was seen Sunday night running west toward Johnson Field on the University of New Mexico campus. They say the suspect is a Native American male, wearing a yellow checkered shirt and khaki pants. If you know anything you are asked to call the police.
Full Story: Police search for stabbing suspect near UNM
3. A cold front in the eastern plains combining with a storm system moving in from the West Coast will give us active weather to start the new work week. Scattered showers will break out over southern Colorado and the Four Corners area by Monday afternoon, pushing into central locales by Monday evening.
Full Story: Kristen’s Monday Morning Forecast
4. Many investors are trying to get in on what some are saying could be a multi-billion-dollar hemp boom. In July hemp will become legal in the state. According to the Albuquerque Journal, local business leaders are trying to invest in the estimated $2.6 billion industry nationwide by 2022. Governor Lujan Grisham recently signed the first-of-its-kind bill expanding both commercial and industrial uses of hemp. It’s most commonly used for things like CBD oils, textiles and cosmetics.
5. This summer you’ll be able to check out the worlds of the Walking Dead, and Harry Potter in Albuquerque. Jason Mamoa is making an appearance at the New Mexico Comic Expo in August. The expo just announced three more big names in the lineup Elijah Wood, Jon Bernthal, and Tom Felton. The expo runs August 16-18 at the Albuquerque Convention Center.
Full Story: A-list stars announced for upcoming Comic Expo
Morning’s Top Stories
- New Mexico Democrats re-elect Marg Elliston as chairwoman
- Jack Black enjoys time in Farmington
- National Hispanic Cultural Center to reopen since fire
- Alleged drunk driver arrested with kids in the car
- Trump campaign manger says 4-left leaning states are ‘in play’
- Stolen therapy pig, Barbie has been reunited with owner
- Eastbound one-lane loop ramp to open on Rio Bravo Monday