1. The mail carrier murder case is in the hands of the federal government. Seventeen-year-old Xavier Zamora is accused of shooting and killing Jose ‘Pepe’ Hernandez earlier this week. Authorities say Hernandez was trying to break up a fight between Zamora and his mother while on his mail route near 98th Street and Tower. Witnesses say that’s when Zamora shot him. Thursday, the state dropped charges so the federal government can prosecute the case. The U.S. Attorney’s office is taking over because Hernandez was a federal employee. They are still not saying what charges Zamora faces because he is a minor.
2. A park honoring the victims of the West Mesa serial killer is set to have another addition soon. However, it’s what’s missing that’s getting attention. The city says the victims’ families requested not to mention how the 11 women and unborn child died, or their lives so only their names are seen. However, there is a plaque about the grandfather of the unborn child who pushed for the park and dedication to the dog who found the bone that initiated the investigation. A tribute to the child will be built during phase two.
3. A mostly quiet and mild start o the day with morning temperatures in the 40s, 50s, 60s across the state. With enough sunshine and high-pressure building in from the south (southwest flow over NM), afternoon temperatures will soar above average with most of us in the 70s and 80s by late afternoon.
Full story: Kristen’s Friday Morning Forecast
4. The Las Cruces City Council is giving another half million dollars to help with migrant needs. The decision comes as Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham toured two facilities where more than 1,700 asylum seekers are staying. The governor is praising the city for their compassion and commitment. The additional funding is coming out of Las Cruces city money.
5. Soccer fans, New Mexico United is getting ready to hit the field Friday night for their matchup against the Portland Timbers 2. The Timbers are currently in first place in the Western Division. With a win in Friday’s game, United could snatch that spot from them. Kick off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Isotopes Park.