1. The teen accused of shooting and killing an Albuquerque mailman is now behind bars. APD and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service took 17-year-old Xavier Zamora into custody at a home in southwest Albuquerque late Wednesday night. It brings a two-day manhunt to an end for the teen suspect accused of fatally shooting Jose “Pepe” Hernandez while the mailman was on his route near 98th Street and Tower. Police say the victim tried to break up a dispute between Zamora and his mother outside of their home when Hernandez was shot by Zamora. Zamora is facing an open count of murder.
2. The leader of a civilian group that’s been detailing asylum-seeking migrants along the U.S. Mexico border is recovering after being attacked. Authorities say Larry Hopkins was transferred out of the Dona Ana County jail after sustaining nonlife-threatening injuries. He recently pleaded guilty to federal weapons charges and is scheduled to be in court Monday in Albuquerque.
Full story: Border group leader attacked in jail
3. A quiet and cool start to the day with morning temperatures in the 30s, 40s, and 50s under a mostly cool sky. Afternoon temperatures will climb above Wednesday’s readings (and above seasonal normals) with highs well into the 50s, 60s, and 70s across New Mexico.
Full story: Kristen’s Thursday Morning Weather
4. An Albuquerque woman is offering a reward for help finding her pet pig after she says it was stolen right out of her front yard. Sydney Forestal says she was stolen Wednesday afternoon. Barbie works as a therapy animal around the country.
5. In weeks, Better Call Saul fans will get a chance to ask the stars if rumors of the show ending are true. Giancarlo Esposito, who plays Gus, recently said he thinks the show will end after its sixth season. However, Rhea Seehorn who plays Kim Wexler says there have been “no concrete decisions”.