1. Thousands are already hitting the ground in their journey to El Santuario de Chimayo. The annual journey has been a tradition in the community for around 200 years. People making the trek will collect holy dirt said to have healing properties. New Mexico Department of Transportation crews have been preparing various routes for a safe journey in the pilgrimage but drivers should still use caution if heading that way.
2. Albuquerque Police are investigating an officer-involved shooting near Wyoming and Copper. Officers confronted a man in a parking lot after responding to a home invasion Thursday night. According to APD, the suspect and one officer fired guns. The suspect was injured and was taken to the hospital. No officers were hurt in the incident.
3. It will be a mostly sunny and warm finish to the work week. Afternoon highs will top out in the 60s, 70s, and 80s Friday afternoon.
Full story: Christopher’s Friday Morning Forecast
4. A six-year-old is recovering after he had to undergo emergency surgery following a dog attack. The incident happened Thursday near Central and Louisiana. Police say the child crawled into a fenced area where neighbors had four pitbulls. The child was taken to the hospital and rushed into emergency surgery. Animal control took all four dogs into custody.
5. You can visit any national park for free. It’s part of the celebration of national park week but it does not include activities like camping, boat launches or transportation services. This is one of four free national park days coming up in 2019. The next ones take place in August, September, and November.
Full story: National parks offering free entry this Saturday