1. Seven families are without a home Tuesday after a massive apartment fire broke out near Eubank and Montgomery. Fire crews are on scene at the Sierra Meadows apartment complex. Video shows crews tackling the huge blaze from above. Officials say the fire sparked around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday on the second floor, trapping some people inside. There are at least five injured, but it is unknown how serious their injuries are. The Red Cross is helping people who are affected find a place to stay.
2. Albuquerque city councilors passed an amended version of an ordinance, limiting single-use plastics in Albuquerque. The ordinance passing with a 5 to 3 vote goes into effect January 1 and bans businesses from giving customers single-use plastic bags. The original ordinance would’ve banned businesses from using to-go containers and straws.
3. Increasing cloud cover will blanket New Mexico ahead of our next weather maker approaching from the west.
Full Story: Kristen’s Tuesday Morning Forecast
4. Albuquerque Public Schools are left waiting to see if they’ll see a longer school year. The recent survey sent out by APS asked parents their thoughts on adding ten extra schools days to the year. Seventy-five percent voted to keep things the way they are. However, the survey shows parents of students at low performing schools, that already have a longer school year, are okay with the extra days. Schools with higher success rates didn’t want the change. The PED will give the final say May 6.
5. One of New Mexico’s top teachers is continuing to follow in her families footsteps. Clovis fifth grade teacher Roxanne Mitchell is one of this year’s recipients of the Golden Apple award. Mitchell’s grandmother, two aunts and an uncle were teachers. She says teaching is something she’s always wanted to do. Mitchell plans to use the Golden Apple award scholarship money to host a “whole brain” teaching conference.
Morning’s Top Stories
- Nations express solidarity with France after Notre Dame fire
- Santa Fe school board to meet about education funding requirements
- Couple restores historic La Castaneda Hotel in Las Vegas
- Dog rescue group searching for new home for ‘Birdie’ the Doberman
- Georgia O’Keeffe Museum tackles visitors’ color blindness
- Police respond to fatal shooting near Lomas and I-40
- Zombie movie to film in New Mexico
- Driver leaves the scene after crashing into Old Town Pizza Parlor