1. New Mexico health officials are now urging volunteers with medical experience to head to Las Cruces. According to the Santa Fe New Mexican, with the influx of migrants at the United States-Mexico border there’s a need for more volunteers to relieve those tending to the health of migrants being bussed in. Officials say they’re especially in need of physicians, physician assistants, registered nurses and emergency medical technicians. The Las Cruces city council is also set to meet Monday to figure out for the growing number of asylum seekers in their city.
Full Story: Migrants taken to Las Cruces homeless shelter
2. A hearing is scheduled in the case of Nehemiah Griego, the man who killed his family when he was a teen. Judge Alisa Hart is now tasked with deciding whether the teen who killed his parents and three siblings is rehabilitated enough for release or if he should be sentenced as an adult. Two other judges recused themselves, leaving Judge Hart to decide.
Full Story: Hearing scheduled for Nehemiah Griego
3. A nice start to the work week with mostly sunny skies, above average temperatures and dry conditions, stretched statewide.
Full Story: Kristen’s Monday Morning Forecast
4. Monday is the deadline to turn in your tax returns for 2018. The IRS says as many as 50 million taxpayers have yet to file. If you’re unable to get everything in order before midnight, the IRS recommends filing for an extension. That will prevent taxpayers from paying late penalties, but it won’t provide more time to pay tax money that is owed.
5. Tuesday is game day for Lobo baseball. The Lobos are coming off a tough series loss to Nevada. In last night’s final matchup between the two teams, Nevada would win 14 to 8. The Lobos are now 7 and 11 in Mountain West Conference Play. They take on New Mexico State at Santa Ana Star Field Tuesday, first pitch is set for 6 p.m.
Morning’s Top Stories
- Ambassadors of Compassion coming to schools in New Mexico
- Uranium plumes stop growing in western New Mexico
- Public records suit cost New Mexico town pay hefty amount
- Man arrested for impersonating deputy
- George R.R. Martin attends Santa Fe Games of Thrones final season premiere
- Wildlife officials warn residents as snake season approaches
- American Airlines cancels Max flights through mid-August
- Strong storms leave tens of thousands without power
- Bed Bath & Beyond will close 40 stores