1. A man is now charged with child abuse resulting in the death of his 9-month-old daughter at an Albuquerque motel. Officers were called to the San Mateo Inn Tuesday morning to reports of a drowning. Detectives say the child’s father, 39-year-old Moses Johnson claimed the girl fell into the pool and drowned. During the investigation, officers reported bruises on the child’s head. Police say Johnson then changed his story, saying he left the girl strapped in her car seat in the bathroom for hours while he slept. He claims she suffered from bronchitis and somehow died. Johnson was booked into MDC Wednesday morning.
2. An active day of weather as a strong storm crosses Colorado Wednesday. Unfortunately, the biggest impact out of this storm will be strong to damaging winds ripping across New Mexico.
Full story: Kristen’s Wednesday Morning Forecast
3. The Trump administration wants to add the question “Are you a U.S. citizen?” to the 2020 census. Many are saying that question could hurt state funding if it makes it on the survey. The issues is in the hands of the Supreme Court. The ACLU says the question could stop people from participating in the census altogether. Census data impacts where schools and healthcare facilities are placed as well as how much federal funding for various programs New Mexico gets. The Justice Department says it wants responses to the question to gather better data on the voting age population. Meanwhile, the Trump administration is appealing the lower court’s ruling.
4. A hiring event to fill hundreds of state jobs continues Wednesday in Roswell. The hiring tour will also hit several cities across the state. The metro area will have two next week. The Department of Workforce Solutions says the governor’s office is involved in launching a statewide rapid hire tour.
5. A new partnership will be formed Wednesday between world famous MMA Coach Greg Jackson and soccer team New Mexico United. Under the new partnership, Coach Jackson will train players and coaches of the soccer team ahead of this Saturday’s game. The partnership is under Coach Jackson’s New Mexico Experience.
Top Morning Stories
- New Mexico woman discovers PNM overbilled her for 16 years
- Democrats prepare border bills, say Trump enflamed problem
- Barr to testify before the Senate as Mueller’s report looms