Men accused of raping UNM student sue board of regents

News

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The three men accused of raping a University of New Mexico student have filed a law suit against the university.

Crusoe Gongbay, Ryan Ruff and SaQwan Edwards were charged with rape and kidnapping after the alleged victim told police she was raped at gunpoint by the men after a night of partying.

The charges against Gongbay, Ruff and Edwards were later dismissed in 2014.

In the lawsuit filed earlier this month, the men allege that the investigation conducted by police and the university was flawed. The suit says police assumed the three black men were guilty, then failed to interview witnesses or obtain evidence that would have cleared them.

Bleus claims the men have been turned down for jobs since the investigation.

A spokesperson for UNM says the university has not received the lawsuit, but it stands behind its police department.

“It is unfair and outrageous for Mr. Bleus to release the allegations of a lawsuit that he has not served on the University to media at the close of a business day,” said UNM Director of Media Relations Dianne Anderson. “While we have had no opportunity to review his clients’ claims, we stand by our police department, and we are confident that our procedures were fair to the parties involved in the case.”

The victim in the case has also filed a lawsuit against the university. The woman’s attorneys say they believe the criminal charges against the men were dropped because of pressure from UNM’s Athletic Department and that the University’s main focus was getting the players back on the field.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

Video Forecast

Erica's Tuesday Morning Forecast

More Weather Video Forecast
Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Photo Gallery