1.The costly special session will drag on into another week. The governor now has three days to act on a budget bill and revenue package that the legislature recently passed. One of the bills restores funding to higher education and the legislature. This funding was nixed with a line-item veto by Martinez previously. Another bill reallocates money from capital outlay plans, which is how legislators balance the budget. Lawmakers also pushed through two bills with tax hikes, something Governor Martinez has already said she wouldn’t be okay with.
2. The state is now looking into a controversial UNM golf trip to Scotland which was uncovered by KRQE News 13’s Larry Barker. Attorney General Hector Balderas sent a letter to UNM’s acting president stating he is now looking at the use of public money to pay for private citizens to go on a golf trip in 2015. This follows Larry’s investigation which exposed what really happened and who paid for the Scotland golf trip. The trip was supposed to raise money for UNM athletics. The Athletic Director Paul Krebs has now admitted that public funds were used.
3. A mild and quiet start to the day with no significant rain or storms to slow our morning commute.
Full Story: Kristen’s Friday Morning Forecast
4. Attorney General Jeff Sessions says he will ask for the Supreme Court to get involved in the battle over President Trump’s travel ban. This comes after another setback for the Trump administration when a federal appeals court upheld an injunction on the ban against six Muslim-majority countries Thursday. The ruling upholds a lower court’s decision to halt core portions of the new executive order indefinitely. This was the Trump administration’s second attempt to install a travel ban.
5. City and county officials want your kids to be safe this summer and not swim in arroyos so they’ve kicked off this year’s swim and play pass. This allows kids 17 and under the chance to swim at 18 pools across Albuquerque for free. Passes are available at any metro area fire stations.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Berino man arrested after rollover crash kills a passenger
- Sandia National Labs selects 14 New Mexico companies for upcoming projects
- Overnight fire explosion in southeast Albuquerque apartment still under investigation
- Judge denies New Mexico serial killer’s request to withdraw guilty plea
- Memorial weekend one of busiest travel times of the year
- 2017 Memorial Day Events, Closures
- ABQ BioPark $1 admission for veterans and active military members Memorial day
- Lawyer says Kushner willing to cooperate with investigators
- Wisconsin woman jumps on hood of her SUV to prevent theft
- Egypt: Gunmen attack Christians, killing at least 24