1. A thief took off with an Albuquerque Fire Rescue SUV in the middle of the night. Police chased him for hours, damaging vehicles in the process. In the lapel video, Anthony Pacheco told police the SUV was running when he hopped in.
2. The teenager accused of firing off a gun inside a Rio Rancho high school, setting off a panic, is not competent to stand trial for now. A new court order shows Joshua Owen will go to a treatment center until he’s deemed competent.
3. A storm system to our west will lift north on Friday leading to less wind and sunny skies. Highs will top out in the high 70’s with 15-25 mph winds. Over the holiday weekend there will be scattered storms over eastern sections of the state. Some of these storms could reach severe levels.
Full Story: Mark’s Friday Evening Forecast
4. Sen. John Pinto of Gallup has passed away at the age of 94.Pinto was one of the longest serving Native American legislators in U.S. history. He served in the U.S. Marines as a Navajo Code Talker before working as a teacher.
Full Story: New Mexico Senator John Pinto passes away
5. Medical investigators say they’ve been unable to determine how a 1-year-old Albuquerque girl died. Her father David Zuber claimed she drowned in the bathtub, but an autopsy also determined the girl had meth in her system. However, investigators could not prove if either caused the girl’s death.
The Evening’s Top Stories:
- NMDOH reports first Hantavirus case of 2019 in McKinley County
- E-scooter sharing program launches in Albuquerque
- BioPark says goodbye to some longtime residents, welcomes new additions
- Santa Fe Fuego baseball adds fiery new team mascot
- APD to host gun buyback event July 13
- Bernalillo County launches Summer Lunch Program
- Volunteers place thousands of flags at Santa Fe National Cemetery
- Elephant Butte Lake rises 50 feet since last Memorial Day
- Albuquerque Trolley Company Mural Tours
- Make-A-Wish treats group of New Mexico kids to private jet ride