1. All lanes on westbound I-40 at 98th Street were shut down Thursday morning after an apparent crash involving two semi-trucks. Various agencies were on scene but at this time all we know is that the crash started around 11 p.m. Wednesday night. Currently, all westbound lanes have now been reopened.
Full Story: Semi collision caused massive fire along I-40
2.An interesting day ahead for jurors in the murder trial for former Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Deputy Tai Chan. Witnesses painted the picture of chaos as several shots were fired the night Deputy Jeremy Martin was killed at a Las Cruses hotel. Six hotel guests testified Wednesday. Jurors were also shown a picture of the gun and prosecutors say Chan used to shoot Deputy Martin as the two were working a prisoner transport in 2014. Chan’s attorneys say it was self-defense after Martin attacked Chan. The prosecution says it was murder. This is Chan’s second trial. The first ended in a mistrial.
3. A mostly quiet start to the day with temperatures in the 30s, 40s and 50s under a partly clear sky.
Full Story: Kristen’s Thursday Morning Forecast
4. Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe testifies before the senate intelligence committee in place of his former boss James Comey. The Trump administration continues to defend its surprise decision Tuesday to fire Comey, this time tweeting out a video of several democrats calling for the former FBI director’s resignation in the past.
The White House has cited Comey’s handling of Hillary Clinton’s email scandal as the reason.
5. A Santa Fe startup could be on its way to becoming the next Apple or Microsoft after it created technology like Google Earth that allows them to zoom in on things you’ve probably never looked at before. Descartes Labs wants to better understand the planet by looking at images taken every day by satellites. The data could potentially help end world hunger by focusing on agriculture. The local startup hopes to double its 30 person operation by the end of the year.
Full Story: Santa Fe startup has its mark on the world
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Special summer camp provides opportunities for kids with disabilities
- Albuquerque grandmother who used an ice bath to punish 3-year-old expected in court
- ABQ Ride takes down troubled shelters at several bus stops
- Albuquerque man charged in connection to multi-state dog fighting ring
- City removes 2nd of 4 Confederate statues in New Orleans
- Durango-area woman awakens to find car interior destroyed by bear
- Homeless camp under I-40 causes big concern for drivers
- Man accused of murdering his mother appears in court