1. Two New Mexico women are in jail waiting to be extradited back to Oklahoma next week, accused of kidnapping a 14-year-old boy they met online. The teenage boy is back home safe. Pittsburg County Oklahoma Sheriff says 35-year-old Kriste Aragon from Farmington and 29-year-old Melissa Goelz drove nearly 13 hours to meet the Oklahoma boy that Aragon met on Xbox. officers say the teen thought Aragon lived just a half hour away. The boy says when he got in the car the women told him they were going to New Mexico and he “would never be coming back home.” Oklahoma authorities tracked the phone number linked to Aragon’s Xbox. The women were arrested soon after in Farmington.
2. A robotic competition is set to get underway this morning on a somber note. Nigerian teen, Muhammad Bashir-Bello, who was set to compete, died this week after drowning in a local hotel pool. his family asked officials to make sure the competition went on as planned. Starting Thursday, 1,300 kids representing 20 countries will be in Albuquerque for RoboRAVE International. It’s giving the kids the chance to learn how to design, build, program and test robots. This weekend’s competition will be dedicated to the 14-year-old Nigerian student.
3. Hot temperatures continue Thursday afternoon with most of us well into the 80s, 90s and low 100s under a sunny sky.
Full story: Kristen’s Thursday Morning Forecast
4. Another separation of church and state fight could be brewing in Belen. This week, the mayor and city council signed off on the city’s official flag, the middle of the Zia symbol features the star of Bethlehem. Belen is Spanish for ‘Bethlehem.’ The Freedom from Religion Foundation says a flag with a religious symbol violates the constitution. A few years ago, the group threatened to sue Belen over its nativity scene in the city plaza.
5. The ABQ BioPark Zoo’s newest member is getting a lot of attention with its new name. Rozie the Asian elephant gave birth to this healthy male calf last week. Over the last few days, people voted to help decide his name. Thorn was the winning suggestion.
Top Morning Stories
- Parent accused of making threats against Clovis middle school
- Police: Man who shot at deputies ‘armed and dangerous’
- Trump gives freed Americans flag-waving, wee-hours welcome
- Pentagon to release details of Niger ambush, response
- Carlsbad brine well construction to be complete in 2023
- Santa Fe mayor proposes $60 million bond package
- Insight or influence? Trump attorney’s business scrutinized