1. The manhunt is on for the suspect in the murder of a UNM baseball player outside a Nob Hill club. Darian Bashir has a long criminal record, and he had been left out of jail not long before the murder.
2. Mayor Tim Keller, in partnership with several Albuquerque agencies, detailed plans to fight violent crime in the city on Friday. The mayor began the announcement by highlighting recent crimes that took place including the shooting deaths of UNM baseball player Jackson Weller, and mail carrier Jose ‘Pepe’ Hernandez.
3. Deep moisture along with weather disturbances will keep widespread showers over the state on Saturday. Highs were warm into the 60s in the Albuquerque metro area.
Full Story: Mark’s Friday Evening Forecast
4. Virgin Galactic will move its Mojave Air and Space Port in California to New Mexico’s Spaceport America. Sir Richard Branson, Virgin Galactic’s founder, and Gov. Lujan Grisham made the announcement Friday.
5. Bernalillo County officials are planning to use $100,000 to help asylum seekers. The money is coming from behavioral health tax revenues.
The Evening’s Top Stories:
- UNM Board of Regents passes $3 billion budget
- Judge accused of embezzlement gets suspended without pay
- Officials hope to draw ‘Roswell’ to film in show’s namesake for season 2
- Plan to reopen Torrance County prison moves forward
- Video: Suspected drunk driver battles car fire
- Facebook holds launch party for new feature at Albuquerque bakery
- New Mexico kids present plans for simulated trip to Mars