NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – New Mexico is just months away from allowing retailers to start selling recreational cannabis on the open market. Ahead of that monumental shift, KRQE News 13 is taking a closer look at some of the challenges recreational cannabis has brought on in the neighboring state of Colorado, which has allowed legal sales since 2014.
- The effect of legalizing marijuana; Colorado’s warning to New Mexico
- Albuquerque cannabis rules: City sets regulations
- Albuquerque’s proposed marijuana ordinance stricter than state’s law
- Cannabis Decriminalization: What you need to know in 10 phrases
- Marijuana: Economics of New Mexico’s newest industry
- Marijuana: ‘Expungement removes barriers; we need that in New Mexico’
In part one of a three-part series, KRQE News 13 Anchor Dean Staley takes a look at the impact Colorado’s legalized cannabis industry has had on crime. KRQE News 13 Digital Anchor Chris McKee recently sat down with Dean to discuss his report in a behind the story interview.
Topics discussed include why crime was chosen as a subject of focus, how Dean found the two primary interviews in the story, and what he hopes New Mexicans will take away from viewing the story. To view the story this conversation is based off of, click here.