ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – We all know focusing on staying active and treating your body right is key to healthy living. But did you know that your mood, energy levels, and over all cognitive performance has a lot to do with what you’re putting into your body? News flash: it does. Staying away from fast foods and processed foods is essential, while frequenting local produce can help boost your immune system and limit allergies (which, as New Mexicans we can all get behind, right?). Chef Andrew Bustos with Altitude Sports Grill stopped by today with a fresh and healthy option to start your day with: grilled peach salad, using all fresh ingredients. One of the most important ingredients he points out is the honey; living here in New Mexico we should especially be consuming that during allergy season, which is of course now a year round thing.
This is a super easy recipe to follow at home, and Andrew was kind enough to give us all of the instructions, enjoy:
5 peaches (not white) (1 reserved for dressing)
3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons tequila (optional)
1/3 cup olive oil
Vegetable cooking spray
1 (6-oz.) package watercress or baby arugula, thoroughly washed
3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 16 (1/4-inch) slicesPreparation
- Peel and chop 1 peach. Cut remaining 4 peaches into 28 (1/4-inch-thick) rounds, cutting through stem and bottom ends. (Cut peaches inward from sides, cutting each side just until you reach the pit. Discard pits.)
- Process chopped peach, green onions, next 7 ingredients, and, if desired, tequila in a food processor 10 to 15 seconds or until smooth. Add oil, and pulse 3 to 4 times or until thoroughly combined.
- Coat cold cooking grate of grill with cooking spray, and place on grill. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high). Brush both sides of peach rounds with 1/3 cup peach dressing.
- Grill peach rounds, covered with grill lid, over 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear.
- Arrange watercress evenly on 4 plates. Alternately layer 4 grilled peach rounds and 4 cheese slices over watercress on each plate. Top each with 3 more peach rounds. Drizzle with remaining peach dressing. Garnish, if desired.