ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A woman attacked an Albuquerque police officer by bashing a rock on his head. Police were unable to identify her, and because of that, she was able to get away with the crime.

It all started when police were called to check on a woman in front of a Nob Hill business last week.

“She had her hand down the front of her pants. At this point the officer didn’t know what type of weapon, if any, she might be concealing,” said Officer Tanner Tixier of the Albuquerque Police Department.

The officer continued to ask the woman to take her hands out of her pants, but she refused and started to become aggressive. At one point, she even threatens the officer.

The officer asked the woman once more to remove her hands, and that’s when she became aggressive again.

The woman then grabbed her purse and hit the officer in the head, leaving a gash. She had a large rock in her purse, but when police arrested her, she wouldn’t give her name.

“She was then released on her own recognizance by a judge without ever having positively identified who this woman was, which is a concern of ours,” said Officer Tixier.

Police charged the woman but she was released from custody due to lack of probable cause and the court says that there was no identifying information for the woman in the criminal complaint.

“He could’ve sustained some serious injuries, more than just a gash on his head. We’re just concerned that she was released with little or no consequences at this point basically.”

Police believe they know who she is at the moment, but they are not 100% sure. If they do figure it out, she faces felony charges for attacking the officer. Police aren’t sure if she was drunk, mentally ill, or both.

The officer did have to get four staples in his head but is already back on duty.Correction: An earlier version of this story stated that Jane Doe was not charged. She has been charged but was released from custody. This story has been corrected to reflect that information.