The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. A new budget deal for the state is heading to the governor’s desk after a seven day special session. Lawmakers came up with money and cuts to cover a nearly $600 million hole by pulling cash from government accounts, closing loopholes and slashing budgets by more than 5 percent almost across the board. The University of New Mexico will see smaller cuts than the House GOP had pushed for and CYFD and Public Safety won’t see any cuts.
2. Friday, mostly sunny and breezy. Highs in the upper 60’s to mid 70’s. East winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts around 35 mph. Friday night, partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower to mid 40’s. East winds 10 to 20 mph.
3. Hurricane Matthew is right now lashing Florida’s east coast. Matthew weakened from a Category 4 to a Category 3 overnight but is still dumping heavy rains and battering winds of up to 120 miles per hour, taking out power for more than 300,000 residents. The death toll of the massive hurricane swelled to 269 people, the majority of those deaths in Haiti.
4. A legal fight is brewing between a Bernalillo Coffee Shop and a sandwich shop in Santa Fe. It’s all over their name. The coffee shop claims they used the name and logo first and are now suing the sandwich shop for causing confusion, hurting sales and their reputation.
5. Drivers are doing double-takes as pedestrians walk in all sorts of strange ways across the street at Lead and 2nd Street. It’s in response to signs installed by the sign shop “A Good Sign” that sits on that corner — a nod to the 1970’s Monty Pyton sketch, “The Ministry of Silly Walks.”
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Social Hub: #BalloonFiesta Day 7
- Jury gets case of two officers in James Boyd’s shooting death
- Roswell police asking residents not to dress up as clowns
- Albuquerque police host ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event
- Preparations underway for New Mexico’s first dog cafe
- Albuquerque native cast in new Netflix series
- World’s longest haunted house opens Friday in Albuquerque