The Bureau of Land Management will implement fire restrictions to begin Friday for the Albuquerque District including Bernalillo, Cibola, Catron, McKinley, Socorro, Sandoval, Torrance and Valencia Counties.
Fire restrictions are put in place in an effort to prevent wildfires and to promote public safety.
Under these restrictions, the following are prohibited on public land:
- using or building a charcoal, wood or coal fire or campfire
- smoking unless enclosed in a building, vehicle or in a non-flammable area with a 3-foot diameter
- all fireworks and explosives
- welding, or the use of an open flame torch
- chainsaws, other items without a spark arrester
- the use of vehicles off-road except when parked in a 10-foot nonflammable area
Restrictions will begin Friday, May 11 at 12:01 a.m.