Federal safety regulators investigate teen’s bathtub death

News

LOVINGTON, N.M. (KRQE) – Federal safety regulators are investigating the death of a teenage girl who was electrocuted in her own bathtub.

Madison Coe, 14, died Sunday at her father’s house in Lovington.

Family members say Coe was found in a tub holding her Samsung 6 Edge Plus cellphone, which was plugged into an extension cord beside the bathtub.

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating to find out if any products played a role in her death.

Coe’s family has been open about the incident and hopes others will learn from it.

“My daughter said if this could save one life, that’s what matters,” Donna Pruitt O’Guinn, Coe’s grandmother, said.

Investigators have not said if the plug the phone was using had a GFI designed to prevent electrocutions.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

Video Forecast

Grant's Wednesday Night Forecast

More Weather Video Forecast
Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss