Employees track down store burglar, police yet to make arrest

Employees at an Albuquerque phone store launched an investigation of their own after man broke into the store and stole thousands of dollars in merchandise. 

The employees of the Boost Mobile say online posts led them to who they believe is the burglar. They’ve handed over their evidence to APD on a silver platter but so far, nothing has happened.

“The window was completely broken out, they had taken 14 iPhones, three Androids,” said store manager Denise Lucero. 

Surveillance video from Wednesday morning shows a man breaking into a the Boost Mobile on Central and San Pedro in Albuquerque.

“The guy was shirtless and he showed his face directly to the camera. When he turned around to pick up a rock to throw into the window, he had a big tattoo piece on his back,” Lucero said. 

Lucero says the Albuquerque Police Department is investigating the break-in, but Lucero did her own investigating online, which may have proved fruitful. 

“The specific source had posted on social media that they were selling 13 iPhones and just coincidentally we had 14 iPhones stolen from us,” Lucero said. 

“We followed the profile, the tattoo matched, the pictures on the profile, the face matched the man,” Lucero said. 

Lucero says they’ve turned his name, picture and date of birth over to police with no updates on how APD’s investigation is going.

“If the police wasn’t going to do it we were,” Lucero said.

So far, the man they suspect in the crime hasn’t been charged for the burglary, which is why KRQE  News 13 is not naming him.

However, that same man was arrested on Friday for stealing vehicles from an Albuquerque car dealership and is currently sitting in jail.

Lucero says he needs to be held accountable for the burglary as well.  

“We do want the items back. If we could get the items back that would be the best solution here. If not, we are going to pursue all possible charges,” Lucero said. 

Albuquerque Police would only say the case is still under investigation and that they will not be releasing any names of people of interest.

Lucero says what the man stole more than $9,000 in merchandise, which would make it a felony.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Now Trending on KRQE.com

Weather

More Video Forecast

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss