Defense questions APD lead investigator on James Boyd killing


ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Albuquerque Police Department’s lead investigator of the killing of James Boyd was on the stand for a second day.

Prosecutors continue to question Detective Geoffery Stone about the planning and discussion that took place during and after the standoff in the Foothills involving Boyd and Albuquerque police.

Detective Stone said he only heard Keith Sandy and a couple other officers discuss different options on how to end the hours long standoff with Boyd. But the detective said he never heard any actual plans.

The prosecution has said Sandy unnecessarily escalated the situation, and that he and Dominique Perez shot Boyd when they didn’t need to.

Thursday, the detective also said Sandy told him it was no accident Boyd was shot.

“He said he made the decision to shoot,” said Detective Stone. “And that investigating a homicide indicates what as far as a person’s intent,” asked Special Prosecutor, Randi McGinn. “His intent was to shoot James Boyd,” answered the detective.

The defense doesn’t claim it was an accident. But says both Sandy and Perez fired shots to protect a K-9 officer who got too close to Boyd as he held two pocket knives.

Late Thursday afternoon, the defense finally got a turn to question Detective Stone.

“You would agree with me that you had the opportunity to ask any question you wanted of Officer Perez,” asked Defense Attorney, Luis Robles. “That’s true,” answered Detective Stone.

Perez’s Defense Attorney made it clear that the former officer volunteered and agreed to do an interview after the shooting.

Detective Stone also said Perez never made a statement in the interview that contradicted any of the evidence.

The testimony went by slowly as more than a dozen times throughout the day, attorneys approached the judge’s bench to hold private conferences to discuss what evidence can and cannot be shown to the jury.

The defendants waited, for nearly 20 minutes in one instance, before testimony resumed.

In total, those private talks took up about an hour and a half of the time in court on Thursday. Topics sparking bench conferences included Boyd’s criminal history, most of which is supposed to be off limits.

Keith Sandy’s Attorney has not questioned the detective yet. Detective Stone is expected to take the stand again Friday morning.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on

Video Forecast

Erica's Thursday Afternoon Forecast

More Weather Video Forecast
Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss