ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The woman police say was behind the wheel during a deadly crash is facing vehicular homicide charges. Bernalillo County deputies say on March 12, 56-year-old Donna Helgesen was driving more than 100 mph on Paseo del Norte near Tramway.
Story continues below:
- Crime: Over 100 citations given in latest racing enforcement operation
- Trending: Body found east of Route 66 Casino Saturday night
- Business: New local eatery hopes to bring “fun” vibe to downtown
- New Mexico News: Colfax County Undersheriff passes away
- National: Man charged with hate crime after threatening US Olympic athlete training in California park
Deputies say she rear-ended a car driven by Rick Rivera after which Rivera’s car erupted in flames. Witnesses were able to pull him out of the wreckage but he died on the scene. Helgesen was charged last week, She is set to appear in court Friday where a judge will decide if she will stay behind bars until trial.