Video: Witnesses describe man who tried to kidnap 14-year-old girl


In a span of a few days, Albuquerque Police said a 25-year-old man tried to kidnap three women, including a 14-year-old girl.

APD released new video that shows just how shook up that teen was, and who came to her rescue that day.

Back in March, minutes after police said someone tried to kidnap the 14-year-old who was walking home from school, officers found her safe but shaken up.

“My neck hurts,” she told officers.

The girl went on to tell the officer that she saw a man sitting inside his car near Academy, near Eubank. She told police, she walked past the “cubed car” and before she knew it, she blacked out.

“I woke up a little bit, he had his arm around me,” she said.

She also said the man told her she had fainted.

“Because if you faint someone wouldn’t grab you by the neck,” she told the officer.

Witnesses that day also helped spook the man, but not before snapping a photo of his car when he drove away. Police later linked the license plate number to James Carter.

One of the witnesses who helped the teen told police a similar story.

“What sparked my interest is it looked like an adult grabbing a child,” one person said. “She was in front of him. He had her in like a choke hold.”

Days before that incident, two other women reported that a man tried to kidnap them while they were jogging in the Northeast Heights. They also got away.

Witnesses in the case described the suspect as Caucasian, in his 20s or early 30s. They said he had “blond-shaggy hair” and was wearing red shorts.

Within days, detectives connected Carter to the attempted kidnappings. When they learned who their prime suspect was, they went looking for him at his father’s home. Carter’s father told APD he didn’t know his son to be violent, but that he mostly stayed at his mother’s home. He was in shock to learn about the accusations and asked if the victims were okay.

Police found Carter the next morning and negotiated with him to come out of his Northeast Heights apartment in an hours-long SWAT stand-off.

He is still behind bars. The case is on “hold” pending a psychological evaluation. In May, he filed a “notice” to change his plea from “not guilty” to “not guilty by reason of insanity” at the time of the crime.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss


Photo Galleries


News Resources