3 suspects named in homicide of 11-year-old boy, one in custody

Crime

LOS LUNAS, N.M. (KRQE) – Authorities have arrested one suspect and are asking for the public’s help in locating two others in connection with the violent death of an 11-year-old boy in Valencia County. The sheriff’s office says Joseph Hobbs was the boy shot Saturday afternoon in front of his mother and a sibling and that the boy was not the intended target.

11-year-old Joseph Hobbs (courtesy GoFundMe)

“The child was located in the front yard of this home, this is not the child’s residence there are outstanding suspects,” said Lt. Joseph Rowland with the Valencia County Sheriff’s Department. Officials say three suspects fled the scene in the Monterey Park District of Los Lunas before law enforcement arrived.

A recently filed criminal complaint says that a man who lived at the home on Monterey Park had a confrontation with the suspects earlier in the day. The man says later that day, the suspects kept driving by his house.

He says eventually, they exchanged words and that’s when they opened fire, hitting 11-year-old Hobbs. They’ve been identified as 41-year-old Alexandria Tabora, her son, 21-year-Santos Mateo Garcia, and 24-year-old Eric Carillo-Garcia, who has no relation to the other two.

Tabora was arrested around 7 p.m. Sunday and is being questioned but authorities are still looking for the other two suspects. Tabora was silent as she was taken into the Valencia County Jail on Sunday night.

Tabora has a lengthy criminal history and was released from jail just days ago. Some of Tabora’s charges date back to 2012 and include armed robbery with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault, and car theft.

Her latest charges were from 2019 where Tabora was accused of stealing a truck and threatening the owner with a handgun. Before a trial in that case, Tabora took a plea deal that called for a suspended sentence.

Paperwork for that plea deal was just filed on Monday. However, court records indicate Tabora was released from jail on probation in a handful of cases less than two weeks ago. The Valencia County Sheriff’s Department is still searching for Tabora’s son Santos Mateo Garcia and another man, Eric Carillo-Garcia.

Carillo-Garcia does have a previous charge for aggravated assault. Garcia did not have a criminal record prior to the Saturday shooting. U.S. Marshals have authorized a $15,000 reward for information leading to their arrests. Anyone with information is urged to call the sheriff’s office, central dispatch, or the U.S. Marshal’s office.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

New Mexico Hourly Forecasts ⟶

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss

MORE IN DON'T MISS

Photo Galleries

MORE PHOTO GALLERIES

News Resources - Maps

MORE NEWS RESOURCES