NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – A convicted felon is back behind bars after police say he led them on a chase, crashed and killed his passenger. Taos County deputies say they tried to pull over Joshua Maestas Thursday. He was wanted for a probation violation on aggravated battery and gun charges. They say he drove off and tried to turn east on Highway 518. He hit a median and his truck flipped.
Story continues below:
- Marijuana: High potency marijuana and possible impact on New Mexico teens
- Web Extra: Behind the story: Colorado’s legal cannabis & the effect on teens
- Trending: Corrales residents say loud music from bar is carrying over to their neighborhood
- Crime: APD arrests suspect in string of armed robberies
- Don’t Miss: State extends indoor mask requirement
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE en Espanol: Miercoles 16 de Septiembre 2021
An 18-year-old man was thrown from the car and died at the scene. A second passenger, Angel Rudd was booked on drug charges. Maestas is charged with homicide by vehicle and aggravated fleeing.