ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A Socorro man has been arrested after police he was under the influence and driving more than 35 miles over the speed limit. Police say early Sunday morning, 22-year-old Eddy Ortiz was traveling east on Coal near Arno when an officer clocked him going 68 miles per hour in a 30 mile per hour zone.
Story continues below:
- Investigation: What happens after someone attacks a healthcare worker?
- Don’t Miss: New Mexico native recognized in Bon Appétit Magazine for Brooklyn restaurant
- Weird: Man once accused of having sex with horse now accused of escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Jueves 23 de Septiembre 2021
- Crime: FBI investigates Albuquerque couple for bank robbery
Officials say an officer followed after him and Ortiz got on to I-25 before the officer pulled him over. According to court documents, the officer says Ortiz had bloodshot watery eyes and that he smelled alcohol on Ortiz.
The officer says Ortiz told him he had three beers that night and Ortiz failed a field sobriety test. Ortiz was charged with speeding and aggravated DWI for refusing a breathalyzer.