ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) - Justin Hansen is serving 18 years in prison for attacking Brittani Marcell with a shovel back in 2008, but now KRQE News 13 has learned about a new investigation into Hansen separate from the Marcell case.
In July, Hansen was sentenced to 18 years behind bars for beating Marcell nearly to death. During sentencing his parents still insisted he was innocent.
"My son Justin has always been kind and compassionate to people of all ages," his mother said. "He's never showed any violent tendencies in all of his 34 years."
Tuesday, the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office confirmed Hansen is at the center of a new investigation for allegedly molesting a minor.
KRQE News 13 asked BCSO if the case involved a child and when the alleged abuse took place.
BSCO said it can't release those details because it's an open investigation and detectives don't want to jeopardize the case.
BCSO confirms it has been investigating since Aug. 31, 2018--a month after Hansen was sentenced in the Marcel case.
- Justin Hansen asks judge to reduce sentence for 2008 shovel beating
- Dark secrets revealed in newly released Justin Hansen interviews
- Brittani Marcell reacts to attacker's sentence: 'Justice has been served'
- Justin Hansen sentenced to 18 years for 2008 shovel beating case
- PED turns to students for new logo
- Roswell launches program to help with cleanup of dilapidated structures
- Results mixed in New Mexico construction jobs report
- Lawmakers ask to make space agency headquarters in New Mexico
- Sen. Martin Heinrich to announce legislation to make Bandelier a national park