NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – A man is behind bars after a bizarre chase in San Juan County. Deputies and detectives with the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office assisted the Aztec Police Department early Tuesday morning after a $144,000 John Deere tractor with a full tank of gas was stolen.
It was located near Bloomfield but when deputies attempted to stop it, the driver, Caleb Hardman, took off into the hills. When law enforcement caught back up to him the sheriff’s office says Hardman tried to run over a New Mexico State Police officer.
After several attempts to get him to surrender, shots were fired at the tires of the tractor, and Hardman was hit with a bean bag round. A short time later he was tased and taken into custody. Hardman is facing multiple charges including fleeing and assault on a police officer.
- Tracking Coronavirus in New Mexico
- Tracking Coronavirus in Navajo Nation
- New Mexico Coronavirus Cases by County, by Day
- What you need to know about New Mexico’s Public Health Order
- Red, Yellow, Green Level Definitions
- What do I need to know about the COVID vaccine in New Mexico
- Evictions – Supreme Court Ruling
- New Mexico CARES Act grants to be dispersed by Christmas Eve