Prosecutors are fighting to keep an accused pedophile priest’s potential punishment under wraps during trail.
Eighty-year-old Arthur Perrault was brought back to the United States last week to face rape charges connected to one of his alleged victims from the 1990s.
He had been on the run for decades and was found hiding in Morocco.
According to a recently filed motion, the prosecution is asking the court to prohibit the defendant from informing the jury of the punishment he faces.
The motion says providing sentencing distracts the jury from their fact-finding responsibility.
- Federal judge orders accused pedophile priest to remain in jail
- Attorneys ask judge to release priest accused of sexual assault
- Priest accused of child sex abuse behind bars pending trial
- NM fugitive priest Arthur Perrault in custody, facing child sex abuse charges
- Attorney for priest abuse victims hopes Perrault’s arrest leads to transparency