NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – A Mora man has taken a plea deal in the murder of his cousin’s partner. Twenty-five-year-old Alex Pacheco was set to go on trial Monday when he agreed to plead guilty to second-degree murder and aggravated battery.
Story continues below:
- Jobs: City of Albuquerque still trying to fill vacancies; hiring bonuses continue
- Vaccine: Vaccination deadline looms for NM university students, faculty, and staff
- Education: APS seeing a rise in violence and bad behavior among students
- Marijuana: High potency marijuana and possible impact on New Mexico teens
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE en Espanol: Miercoles 17 de Septiembre 2021
Prosecutors say last September, Pacheco shot his cousin Ben Montoya Jr. and Jermaine Jennings over a family dispute. Jennings died. Pacheco initially claimed self-defense, but prosecutors say there was no evidence Jennings or Montoya posed a threat.