ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The man who stole the truck that police say hit and killed a 15-year-old was sentenced to two years behind bars on Thursday.
Fifteen-year-old Manny Tapia was on his way home from a movie in July when a truck hit and killed him while crossing the Coors Bypass at Ellison.
Juan Carlos Ramirez, 30, pleaded guilty to sealing that truck a couple of nights before Tapia was hit. however, police have not said if Ramirez was driving it the night of the crash, and no one has been charged in Tapia’s death.
Meanwhile, the teen’s family filed a wrongful death suit against the Albuquerque Police Department last week.
- Attorney claims video shows police pursuing truck that fatally hit teen
- Family seeks public’s help locating vehicle that hit and killed 15-year-old
- Witnesses describe police pursuit before hit & run crash that killed teen
- APD admits to chasing stolen truck suspected in deadly hit-and-run
- Vehicular homicide person of interest has lengthy criminal history