There could be a plea change Tuesday by the man connected in a stolen truck that struck and killed a mom and daughter. Paul Garcia is charged with first-degree murder. Police say in 2017, he was fleeing along with Elexus Groves when they slammed into the mom and daughter, killing them.
Story continues below
- New Mexico: Murder suspect from New York arrested near Edgewood
- Politics: Albuquerque mayoral candidate accused of violating FCC provisions
- Weather: Warmer weather this weekend after a cold start to Saturday
- Crime: Shoplifter hits Target stores 20+ times, taking thousands in goods
- Español: KRQE En Español: Viernes 15 de Octubre 2021
Police say Groves was behind the wheel but Garcia’s actions were also responsible for their deaths. There was a court fight, but a judge ruled in the end a person can be charged with first-degree murder for a situation like this.
Garcia is expected to appear in court Tuesday afternoon for a plea hearing. If he doesn’t change his plea, his trial will start on August 16.