ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The Albuquerque Police Department has arrested two brothers, Brandon and Steven Candelaria for first-degree murder after shooting and killing another man at a southeast Albuquerque residence. The shooting took place on Louisiana near Gibson around 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 17.
APD reports police initially responded to a ShotSpotter call near the home of 39-year-old Luciano Montoya on Louisiana. Brandon and Steven allegedly fired several shots at Montoya during a confrontation outside of the residence.
Montoya was struck in the abdomen and died at the scene. Detectives determined after an investigation that Brandon and Steven arrived outside Montoya’s home and assaulted Steven’s girlfriend near her vehicle.
APD states that she was staying at Montoya’s home after she was allegedly assaulted the previous day by Steven. Detectives learned from witnesses at the scene that as the brothers arrived, Steven allegedly confronted his girlfriend and pistol-whipped her.
Police say both Steven and Brandon then allegedly turned toward Montoya who was returning inside his home and fired several rounds at him. Investigators found 19 bullet casings in the parking lot where the shooting happened.
Brandon Candelaria, 25, was arrested Tuesday at his Westside home. Twenty-nine-year-old Steven Candelaria was arrested on Wednesday afternoon.
Latest Crime News:
- Second Chaves County Detention Center officer arrested for drug trafficking
- Albuquerque police arrest 12-year-old and his uncle for armed robbery
- Stolen $160M painting found in New Mexico returned to Arizona museum
- Albuquerque man accused of killing church security guard to stay in jail
- Albuquerque man with history of burglary charges arrested again