ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Police have arrested and charged a man they say opened fire while stealing from a Family Dollar. Police say they were called to the store on Eubank and Constitution on September 8.
Story Continues Below
- Crime: Albuquerque man can avoid jail time by leading police to woman’s remains
- Albuquerque: Illegal roadside car lot in NW Albuquerque finally cleaned up
- Weather: Warmer and quieter weather returns Thursday
- New Mexico: Warrant reveals gun not thoroughly checked before movie set shooting; sheriff not ruling out charges
- Español: KRQE En Español: Miercoles 27 de Octubre 2021
They say a man, later identified as William Diaz, tried walking out with merchandise. When confronted by store employees, they say he pulled out a gun and pointed it at them.
Police say once outside, Diaz confronted a customer and fired a shot at the ground in front of him. Diaz got away but was arrested the next day at a gas station along Gibson. It turns out, his getaway car was stolen. He is now facing charges, including robbery with a deadly weapon and aggravated assault.