ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A local jiu-jitsu instructor accused of rape has been released from jail. Court records accuse Rafael de Frietas of raping his client at her home last month. The woman told police he made her drink and she felt sleepy afterward. When she woke up Freitas was gone. She says she later checked the surveillance footage in her home and says it showed Freitas taking advantage of her.
In court Monday, the state filed a motion asking Judge Charles Brown to keep Freitas behind bars until trial. Instead, he released him.
Latest Crime News
- VCSO investigating homicide of 11-year-old boy
- NMSP investigating officer-involved shooting in Valencia County
- Settlement reached in APD academy misconduct case
- Suspect who injured Las Cruces police officer dies in shootout with Mexican police
- NMSP helicopter tracks suspect accused of running from officers