EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – The man suspected of shooting a woman at a Planet Fitness in Las Cruces on Tuesday morning has been arrested and charged with a second-degree felony. Las Cruces police said Jose Daniel Chavez, 28, is a former member of Planet Fitness and charged with one count of attempted murder.
Story continues below:
- Investigation: What happens after someone attacks a healthcare worker?
- Don’t Miss: New Mexico native recognized in Bon Appétit Magazine for Brooklyn restaurant
- Weird: Man once accused of having sex with horse now accused of escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Viernes 23 de Septiembre 2021
- Crime: FBI investigates Albuquerque couple for bank robbery
Investigators learned Chavez was a member of the gym in 2000, but had his membership canceled in June 2020 due to repeated complaints regarding his gym attire. Police said the victim told detectives she was working at the counter when Chavez walked in, threw a boot at her and then fired one round. The round struck the left side of the victim’s abdomen.
When Chavez was detained by police, authorities said he was not wearing shoes or boots. Witnesses also told investigators that the suspect dropped a handgun on the sidewalk east of the Planet Fitness building. Police recovered the firearm and was determined to be a 9mm handgun.
Chavez was booked into the Doña Ana County Detention Center where he’s initially being held without bond.