LAS CRUCES, N.M. (KRQE) – A Las Cruces man is charged with abusing his girlfriend’s 11-year-old son. The Las Cruces Police Department says 37-year-old Dominic Salas grabbed the boy by the neck and lifted him off of the floor. Salas is also accused of holding the boy on the floor and poured water over his mouth and nose.
Story continues below:
- Investigation: What happens after someone attacks a healthcare worker?
- Don’t Miss: New Mexico native recognized in Bon Appétit Magazine for Brooklyn restaurant
- Weird: Man once accused of having sex with horse now accused of escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Viernes 23 de Septiembre 2021
- Crime: FBI investigates Albuquerque couple for bank robbery
LCPD says they were sent to investigate after a referral was made through the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department. LCPD says the boy told police he was excessively disciplined by Salas who also threatened to kill him.
Both alleged incidents happened late last year. Salas was arrested Thursday booked into the Dona Ana County Detention Center but was released from jail on his own recognizance on Friday. LCPD says Salas is charged with two felony counts of intentional child abuse; One count is a second-degree felony while the second is a third-degree felony.
LCPD says they are continuing the investigation and more charges are possible.