ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The state Supreme Court has ordered a man accused of beating his wife to death to be locked up again, at least for now. A missed deadline for a detention hearing allowed 54-year-old Jerome Gutierrez to be released from custody on the grounds his rights to a speedy hearing had been violated.
Story continues below
- Crime: Man tries to evade police by changing outfits
- Albuquerque: Albuquerque neighbors fed up with illegal roadside car lot
- Weather: Gorgeous weather to end the work week
- New Mexico: NM one of few landlocked states with reported shark attack
- Español: KRQE En Español: Miercoles 20 de Octubre 2021
The district attorney’s office sought an emergency petition from the state Supreme Court to get him back behind bars pending a formal detention hearing. The high court granted the petition on Wednesday. Gutierrez has been booked back into MDC.
The detention hearing has been scheduled for Thursday. The state argues Gutierrez remains a danger to the public if not locked up.