SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – A Santa Fe police officer opened fire on a knife-wielding man on Friday. Santa Fe police say they fired less-lethal foam bullets, hitting 39-year-old David Gutierrez in the back.
Story continues below
- Albuquerque: Albuquerque speed cameras ordinance signed into law
- Politics: Albuquerque mayoral candidate accused of violating FCC provisions
- Weather: Milder, sunny Saturday on tap
- Crime: Video shows alarming behavior of security guards towards customer
- Español: KRQE En Español: Viernes 15 de Octubre 2021
Police say, leading up to this, Gutierrez was walking around the area of Cerrillos and Richards with a knife. When officers arrived, they say he threatened them with it.
Police say when Gutierrez ran toward a Motel 6, they opened fire. They say the foam bullets didn’t seem to faze him.
Gutierrez was eventually arrested inside the motel. His charges include aggravated assault on a peace officer.