Father says daughter’s death in I-25 crash could have been prevented


ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The woman who police said drove drunk and crashed along I-25, killing two children, is out of the hospital and now behind bars. One of those children was 23-year-old Alexis Martinez‘s own daughter. Now, the girl’s father said he believes his daughter would still be alive if New Mexico Children, Youth, and Families Department had stepped in months ago.

The father of seven-year-old Amariah Moya shared a video with KRQE News 13 that he said was posted by her mother on Facebook Live in November. He said he always felt like something like this would happen.

Martinez is behind bars Monday night after police said she drove drunk with a friend and four kids in the car, then crashed into a concrete barrier along I-25 in late March. Two of those kids died. One of them was Martinez’s daughter, Amariah prompting a candlelight vigil in the South Valley in her honor.

New video shows that this is not the first time Martinez has allegedly driven while intoxicated with Amariah in the car. Video shared with KRQE News 13 shows Martinez drinking, getting into the car with Amariah in the front seat, smoking, and driving.

Amariah’s father, Joseph Moya, said he reported the Facebook Live video to CYFD when he said it was posted in November. He said CYFD told him they showed the video to the Albuquerque Police Department who then said there wasn’t enough evidence to do anything about it, according to Moya. Moya also claimed that CYFD then closed the case despite CYFD telling him that there were more complaints from others about Martinez.

Moya said he blamed CYFD for his daughter’s death, which he believes could have been prevented. KRQE News 13 asked CYFD about this. They said all they can confirm is that CYFD is conducting a formal fatality investigation and will release a summary when they can.

Moya said he also places blame on APD. An APD spokesperson told KRQE News 13 that in November, a CYFD investigator called police and asked for help because she was afraid Martinez would take off. However, by the time officers got to Martinez’s appointment, the CYFD employee was gone. Moya said he was fighting to get full custody of Amariah, but the pandemic slowed the court process down. He said CYFD contacted him right after his daughter’s death, but he has not been able to get a hold of anyone there since.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

New Mexico Hourly Forecasts ⟶

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss


Photo Galleries


News Resources - Maps