NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – A deputy was injured Friday in Doña Ana County after a suspect opened fire on him. Just before 11 a.m., there was a shots fired call at a home just north of Highway 70.
Story continues below:
- Marijuana: High potency marijuana and possible impact on New Mexico teens
- Web Extra: Behind the story: Colorado’s legal cannabis & the effect on teens
- Trending: Corrales residents say loud music from bar is carrying over to their neighborhood
- Crime: APD arrests suspect in string of armed robberies
- Don’t Miss: State extends indoor mask requirement
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE en Espanol: Miercoles 16 de Septiembre 2021
The responding deputy was met with gunfire and hit by bullet fragments. He was treated at the scene for minor injuries to the face and neck. Deputies say gunfire from the home continued through the day.
Around 3 p.m. Friday, there was a brief exchange of gunfire between deputies and the suspect. When deputies went inside the home, the man was found dead. The investigation is ongoing.