EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – Authorities with the Doña Ana County Sheriff’s Department say a 12-year-old boy is in custody after driving a stolen vehicle and carrying ammunition in his pocket on Sunday.
Story continues below:
- Investigation: What happens after someone attacks a healthcare worker?
- Don’t Miss: New Mexico native recognized in Bon Appétit Magazine for Brooklyn restaurant
- Weird: Man once accused of having sex with horse now accused of escape from jail
- KRQE en Espanol: KRQE En Español: Viernes 23 de Septiembre 2021
- Crime: FBI investigates Albuquerque couple for bank robbery
The sheriff’s department says multiple residents contacted authorities about a child driving an SUV recklessly on the highway over the weekend. Police with several agencies began looking for the driver when he was found with three other passengers, ranging in age from 12 to 17-years-old.
“The driver, a 12-year-old male, had ammunition in his pocket, which led to deputies locating a handgun which had been thrown out of the moving vehicle,” police said.
Authorities say the vehicle had been reported stolen. The sheriff’s department says the 12-year-old was booked into the Doña Ana County Detention Center on an outstanding warrant as well as two other serious charges.