ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – One person is dead and two others injured – including a police officer – following a shooting in downtown Albuquerque early Saturday morning. The incident happened at the intersection of Central Avenue and 4th Street around 2:30 a.m.
Story continues below
- COVID: US is split between the vaccinated and unvaccinated – and deaths and hospitalizations reflect this divide
- EDUCATION: Mask guidance for upcoming New Mexico school year released
- UPCOMING: New Mexico 2021 Tax Free Holiday List
- EXPOSURE: Colorado monitoring 2 people after monkeypox exposure on flight
- WEATHER: Afternoon storm chances continue
Officials say shots were fired from the south to the north and two people were struck by gunfire, one dying at the scene. The other was transported to a hospital in stable condition.
Police say the officer’s vehicle was struck by a bullet in the windshield as he was driving on Central through the intersection at 4th Street and fragments of glass struck the officer. He was sent to the hospital and should be released later Saturday.
Police say Central was closed for most of the morning for the scene to be processed. The Multi-Agency Task Force is investigating the incident, including the homicide. Anyone with information is asked to call 242-COPS.