A community is rallying around a local teacher in need after her house caught on fire while on a service trip in another country.
Nearly 4,000 miles away, Stephanie Becker felt helpless.
“You just feel like I think numb is probably the best word…numb, numb,” said Becker.
She was in Peru on a trip with her daughter and her class from Amy Biehl Charter School, when she received the news that her southeast Albuquerque home had caught on fire.
“I thought I was going to throw up. I mean I was shivering. I was so frightened for my son,” said Becker.
Her son and his friend were inside at the time. They were able to get out and get to a neighbor’s house. The family would lose nearly everything, but the most heartbreaking loss was two of their dogs, Bear and Cooper, who died in the fire. Her dog Lola survived.
After the flames were put out, a restoration company was able to recover some of her belongings.
“It was my farm table in the kitchen and my father’s desk and a couple of chairs,” said Becker.
Becker and her daughter, who returned home two days later, were forced to live out of suitcases at her sister’s house until she was able to find a rental home.
“I’m trying so hard to recreate, get a life that my kids can count on like it was before,” said Becker.
Fortunately for Becker, neighbors, family, and friends are rallying around the family to help her do just that.
“It’s important to come together and give support and be kind and just lend a helping hand,” said Yami Lucas, friend.
They’ve created a GoFundMe page in hopes of raising $10,000.
“There’s so many things that I think people need when you lose it all from books to just basic stuff that so many of us take for granted,” said Lucas.
While Becker says she’s unsure right now just how much it will cost to rebuild, she says even the smallest amount will go a long way.
“It kind of creates a safety net for us and we’re really grateful,” said Becker.
To help, click here.