ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Film industry professionals are about to have an easier journey between Hollywood and Albuquerque. Southwest Airlines is starting service between the Albuquerque International Sunport and the Hollywood Burbank Airport which is closer to California’s film studio hub than LAX.
Story Continues Below
- Crime: Albuquerque man can avoid jail time by leading police to woman’s remains
- Albuquerque: Illegal roadside car lot in NW Albuquerque finally cleaned up
- Weather: Staying windy and cooler Wednesday
- New Mexico: Sierra County Sheriff: Hot Springs High School hazing incident was assault
- Español: KRQE En Español: Martes 26 de Octubre 2021
“Albuquerque is on a solid path to be one of the largest high-tech and sustainable film production hubs in North America, so this new flight makes perfect sense and represents a major asset for filmmakers and the City alike,” said Cyndy McCrossen in a news release from the Sunport, film liaison for the City of Albuquerque’s Film Office. “It provides a direct connection to the heart of Hollywood, where most of the major studios are located.”
The city also expects to move will spur tourism between New Mexico and southern California. Southwest plans to starts those flights to Burbank on Janurary 17, 2022. The news release also states that Southwest will be increasing Albuquerque operations in the first quarter of 2022 in several cities, including Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Phoenix, and San Diego.