Burglar hits Albuquerque phone store twice


Two times in a matter of weeks a local cell phone store was hit by a thief. The store manager is adamant that it’s the same person and that despite knowing who it is, police have yet to arrest the thief.

At 6:00 Monday morning, Boost Mobile manager Denise Lucero got a wakeup call. Her store off Central and San Pedro in Albuquerque was hit by a thief.

“The door was shattered,” said Lucero. “He crawled through in there, he kicked through two different doors and ran out the back.” 

Just two weeks ago, this store suffered a familiar fate, surveillance cameras captured the crook breaking in and stealing several phones. As police were beginning their investigation, Lucero did her own research online and believes she knows who that burglar is.

“The tattoo matches, the Facebook matches, he was selling 13 iPhones three hours after 14 iPhones were stolen from my store I mean it’s pretty obvious,” said Lucero.

KRQE News 13 is not naming him because no charges have been filed against him in this case at this point. But we do know that shortly after the first break-in, the same man was arrested and released from MDC for car burglary.

Lucero now believes that same suspect is behind Monday morning’s burglary.

“I believe it is,” said Lucero. “He knew where he was going and if it wasn’t him, it was one of his friends.”

This time, the burglar did not get away with much.

“They grabbed an empty Moto G6 Playbox,” said Lucero. “It was just our marketing box, They had sent us when the device was launching so it was empty.” 

But Lucero has had enough.

“But the fact that they keep doing it is it’s frustrating that we have to come early in the morning just because they want to do this,” said Lucero. “I’m five months into cancer remission. If I can work for everything I have, why can’t they?”

Lucero hopes authorities will catch the thief, but she is frustrated that an arrest still has not been made and no explanations have been given as to why not.

“You’re getting nothing out of it but charges,” said Lucero.

News 13 reached out to police for more information. Officers said they are still investigating both incidents.

The store manager said in all, the thief stole thousands of dollars worth of phones and caused hundreds of dollars of damage to the store.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss


Photo Galleries


News Resources