APD releases 911 calls Ben E. Keith warehouse shooter made to police


Warning: The content of this article may be offensive to some.

Thursday, the Albuquerque Police Department released the 911 calls a workplace gunman made to police. 

APD says Waid Melton called 911 moments after he shot three men at the Ben E. Keith warehouse on South Broadway Monday night around 6:15 p.m.

A crisis negotiator got on the phone with Melton as he explained what he did and why. KRQE News 13 listened to the calls, and are only playing a small portion of them due to their graphic nature.

The moment Melton got on the phone with a crisis negotiator, he didn’t hesitate to tell the officer what happened. 

“I f***** up bad,” said Melton of the attack.

APD officer John Burley was on the other line, offering to listen to and help Melton.

“Waid, I’m here for you OK? I’m… I’m serious, I’m here for you,” said Burley during his conversation with Melton.

Melton explained that “voices in his head” played a part in the shooting. He also detailed some of his history with mental illness and drug use.

“I was hearing voices in my head. They were telling me…um, let me put it to you this way, since I was 15 years old, I’ve been hearing voices in my head,” Melton told the officer.

“When I was 17 years old, I ended up in a psych ward for psychosis, and schizophrenia… I was treated, I was also using methamphetamines then,” said Melton.

Melton was on the phone with that negotiator for about 15 minutes as the officer tried to get Melton to surrender safely. 

Melton told officers that his mind had been psychically attacked by employees at the warehouse. 

“They were using that night manager (unintelligible), who was a pretty powerful psychic, to try to dismantle me, bring down my mind. (He) did a h*** of a job,” said Melton.

In the course of the conversation, Melton refused to tell the officer his exact location as he drove his car around the metro-area. Melton also spoke of taking his own life and expressed remorse for what he did.

“I hope they live, I hope they f****** live, dude,” said Melton, after being told that the victims were all stable.

At the end of the recordings provided by APD, Melton told officer Burley that he would meet with officers at a restaurant in the South Valley near Melton’s home.

The meeting never happened though. APD says Melton eventually killed himself near Placitas just before midnight as he was on the phone with officers. 

Authorities have still not released the identities of the shooting victims, but UNM Hospital confirms that all three are in ‘satisfactory condition,’ an improvement from being in critical condition. 

Related Coverage:

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

Now Trending on KRQE.com

Albuquerque Hourly Forecast

Don't Miss


Photo Galleries


News Resources